William
Let's do a little about William, since I have so much trouble typing out Maeghan's. This one doesn't make me cry as much. William is more about being a boy. Lots of issues, but not life changing issues. Although, William has always been a bit life changing.
This one was again, IVF. I am pretty sure the girls were going to donate money for it. I don't recall if they ever did, but as I have said, Juanita seems to think they did. I am not so sure, but let's go with that. The reasoning behind this one was Juanita wanted to give me a son. I had no great desire for another child and I was happy without having a son, but she insisted and we thought we could manage it.
Maeghan had always been such a calm and entertaining little girl, so we figured, we could do it again. It would probably be the last chance as I was getting older and Juanita chances of getting pregnant was going down, or so we were told. So we decided, let's do it.
Once again, first time, we got lucky. No need to try again and I had figured we wouldn't have done it again if it had not worked the first time, but we will never know. We were living on the Central Coast, north of Sydney, at the time. William was born in Gosford. Not a great place, but the closest hospital. I seem to recall we were informed that she was pregnant while we were up in Newcastle, on a day trip. I have no idea why I think that but it seems right. A text message or phone call or something. The girls were with us and it made us happy. I am probably remembering it all wrong and the news we got in Newcastle was for something totally different, but it's a fond memory so let's say it is true. Who's going to contradict me.
I'd like to say the pregnancy was normal and there were no problems. I can say there were no problems with William. He seemed like a normal baby doing normal baby things. I seem to recall that they had trouble scanning him a few times. Sent chills into both Juanita and I, but the problems were he would not cooperate for the scans. He would always be in the wrong position or facing the wrong way and we would have to keep coming back for another attempt to get the pictures they wanted. The problems with the pregnancy were with Juanita.
I don't recall the exact issue, but there was something she had wrong. Endometriosis, if that is really a word, or something that was causing her pain. I don't remember what it was. But, she had to spend the last several months of the pregnancy in the hospital. I think it was four months, maybe three. Something like that. Now I am once again thinking, what did we do with Maeghan. I know I was working. I don't know who stayed with Maeghan while I was at work. I don't remember how that worked. I believe Natalie and Adam were living with us at the time, so maybe that was it. Or was it Angela and her kids. Two different places we lived and I don't recall which one we were in. Always had someone living with us, so they must have watched Maeghan.
I do know Maeghan and I spent a lot of time together. Maybe that is why we are so close today. We had a lot of time while Juanita was in the hospital. I remember talking to her and taking her to the park and stuff. Could be I am once again confusing memories, but I know we spent a lot of alone time together. So how did the time I was at work go. It would be nice to know but I am not going to try to figure it out. Let's just say we had a good time.
We visited Juanita everyday. Sometimes brought her food and stuff. Spent a couple of hours there each night but Juanita was not really happy about it. When we weren't there, no one else was visiting her. Not that there were a lot of family or friends to visit, but the ones that were never came up to see her. She made some friends at the hospital but they were usually in and out while she had to stay there the whole time. I know it was not a very happy time for her, but the pregnancy with William was going well, besides the other issues, so we were happy about that. Thinking back on that, I can't believe we decided to do it again, with the devastation of Maeghan's pregnancy, but I think she was such a joy, we wanted to have it again.
William was born, normal baby, although I think he was a bit large. I know he was late and they finally just did him. C-section again. No problems. At Gosford hospital, which was almost an hour from us. At some point, they were transferred to the private hospital that was near our house. Why she could not have been there the whole time, I have no idea. It was a much better hospital in a much better area. Probably a public health care thing, but eventually, they were allowed to go there, if just for a few days. I have pictures of Maeghan singing and dancing in the hospital room with William in the crib. A few pictures of her holding him, but she was so small and he was so big, you could already see the difference in size they were going to be.
Our problems with William didn't really start until he learned to move. Not walk, but the ability to get himself from one place to another. I'll have to leave that for another time as I have been typing two entries today and I feel sure I should be working. But, while Maeghan remained a little girl, William became something completely different. Looking back, I don't regret any of it and look back on it fondly, but that could be because I am not actually remembering everything. We still refer to William's childhood as a terror. We love him so much and he was just being a boy, but man, it was fun while it lasted.
Later
No comments:
Post a Comment