Remind me to tell you about New Zealand. I put this note in here, so when I actually do make this entry, I know what it was about. I’m on my phone and don’t have time to type, so it will have to wait until later.
Well I am back on Tuesday. Not knowing when I did the last paragraph, that probably doesn't mean a lot to you or me. But I am back to work and ready to type.
I wanted to tell you about our trip to New Zealand. It was about six months ago and we did quite a bit while there, so it might take more than one entry. Depends on how much I type, or remember. I am hoping I have not already mentioned it in my latest blogs, but that is a possibility. I seem to recall typing something, but since I just started doing this again, I don't think I did that. Enjoy the ride.
We were planning, or I was planning, something for our anniversary. Nothing special, or actually something more special than what we usually do. Now that I have access to my retirement fund, I can plan things and not worry about saving the money. That is replaced by the overwhelming worry about spending my retirement money. But that is another story.
At first, I was just going to plan a short, five day cruise. We have never been on a cruise and three days seemed do short and seven too long, so five was it. The problem with that is, you don't actually go anywhere. Not a problem if you like being confined on a boat for that long, but I was not sure I would not just get bored after a couple of days and want to do something else. Which, on a boat, is not possible. I was afraid I would just spend all my time eating, or drinking or just sleeping and not really doing anything that was really fun. And, you have to do it all with a constant crowd around you. And, I did worry that Juanita would be spending all her time in the casino. That was a very strong possibility. Bottom line is, I don't think a cruise is for me. Maybe I am wrong and maybe I will find out someday, but the prospect of spending five days confined to a boat just does not really appeal to me. Of course, next time I bring it up will be to tell you how our latest cruise went, but that will depend on how much money I spend from my retirement between now and then.
I started looking at other possibilities. I would like to go back to Tasmania for a bit. Or even go someplace else in Australia but that didn't seem all that special and it was something we could do on a normal basis after I retire. Not really a vacation I should plan.
I considered Bali or Vanuatu or one of those type places, but I hear so many mixed reports about them that I was not sure about those either. They are cheap and close, but that means they are cheap and close. And hot, or so I understand. I know people love to go there, but then I hear reports of all the problems they had when they were there, so it kind of puts me off vacationing there.
I even considered Japan but that was too much and not enough time to go there with the limited amount of vacation I have. Two weeks would seem good but that is kind of expensive for that long and Japan is relatively expensive as it is. Speaking of expensive, I thought of going to Dubai, but that is one of the most expensive cities to visit in the world. I would love to go, but Juanita does not. I might plan a trip anyway, someday but I want the kids to go with us and that doubles the price, so I am not sure that will ever happen. If I have one great vacation left in me, I want it to be Disney World. I would have to do that before I get too old to enjoy it and work around the kids schedules, if they have schedules. Right now, they do not. That is a very expensive trip, but if I only go one place, that would be it.
I then thought of New Zealand. It's close, it's cheap, and we have family there. Seemed like a good fit and Juanita thought it was a good idea. So we went, with the kids, and spent a week there with Anna and her boyfriend. Probably could have spent ten days, but I only had a week and I think Juanita had less, so I made it a week. We got to see a number of things, but not everything we wanted to see. Maybe a return trip someday.
And now that I have spent time telling you all the places we considered, people have come into work and I think I am going to cut this short. Start another entry tomorrow, maybe. I tried typing these at home again, but I cannot type on William's new colourful keyboard. It just has too many problems that I cannot handle. So for now, it is work when I have the time.
Hope to talk again soon.
Later
No comments:
Post a Comment