I was thinking. Same day as the last entry but I thought I would start this one with this new thought I am having.
What if I let the kids do their own entries. I could give them access and they could write things in here that they are interested in. It's worth a thought.
I have always worried about what will happen to this after I stop writing in it. Some one will need to save it, or print it, or maybe they can just take over. Do their own thing. It would have to be Maeghan or William as that is the only thing that would make sense. It is worth thinking about. I enjoy it so much and I think they might also. If not this one, then start their own. putting these things down and getting to go back and re-read them is a really good way to make yourself cry. It also allows you to really miss the old days. I cannot recommend it enough.
Well have to go. I will continue this entry later, if I am not in the hospital. I am just about to leave work but wanted to write this down somewhere and this seemed like the best place to do it.
Next day. I am feeling fine. Don't even have the lingering pain I was having in my upper chest that I have had for about two weeks. And yes, I did tell the cardiologist but he said it was nothing to worry about. It wasn't related to the heart. Now I am not so sure, but who am I to disagree with the doctors.
I have been thinking about the idea of the kids taking over the blog. Not really taking over, but giving them the ability to add their own entries. I am not 100% sold on it yet, but I will give it some more thought. I think Maeghan might do it, but she has a lot of her own things to do, so she would be more likely to start her own. I would encourage her to do that. William, I am not so sure he would have any interest in it. First, he is not the best speller or writer there is and I think it embarrasses him. I would say the only way to get better is to do it. I know he has at times written things and had Maeghan read them, but I have never seen any of it. So, maybe he does like to write. After I think about it for a while, I will discuss it with him, or them.
I just read an article about what has happened to the blog. In general, not this specific one. You don't hear about them anymore and you certainly do not see them unless you know a specific one you are looking for. There aren't a lot of places you can go to look for things, or maybe just look for a random blog. There are specific topic blogs, but they are usually part of something else. Like something that is written in support of a video or web page or a business. Not just a random blog about a random topic. They do exist, but no central place you can do a search for them.
Used to be, I could go to a web page, I think it might have been this one, Blogger.com, and I could hit a button that took me to a random blog. Then hit it again and go to another. Maybe that still exists, but I have not seen it in a while and don't know how to do that anymore.
I do know they do not show up in searches. Or they are not high in the algorithm to show up in someone's search. Or, at least, that is what the article was saying. You can still monetize them, but the methods appear to be outdated and replaced by other ways to make money at it. I suppose that is the real cause of the death of the blog, no way to make money at it. You can only make very little money writing these. There are better ways to do it now. I've never looked into it for this blog, so I am not sure it would be something I would want to do. Maybe, but I think the only way is to put adds in it and I am not a big fan of that. And besides, who would read it. I think what I saw was around $2 for a thousand views. This blog has had 8000 views in 20 years, so I would have made $16. Pretty much a bargain if you ask me. That is something I will think about, for my later years.
Right now, I am just waiting for all the students to go to class so I can get a coffee. They should have already gone, but I am getting a steady stream of late commers asking for things. I think I might be sage now, so I am off to the break room.
My coffee is not hot anymore and more students have come in. I was stopped by the director who seems to have a fascination with baseball. I like baseball, but he thinks since I am from America, I know everything and follow everything about it. His son plays and wants to play professionally, so he keeps asking me advice on how he should go about doing that. Since I have no idea how to do that, I don't have a lot of advice, but he keeps asking. So I spend 15 or 20 minutes every time I see him answering questions about what I think of different things. I don't really mind, but I don't really have anything to say that would really help him and my knowledge of baseball has severely waned since I have been here. I only get to see YouTube highlights and I don't follow any of those except the major headlines and the Rangers when I get around to it. I enjoy it, but don't really follow it. So my coffee is cold.
I have spent the last couple of entries talking about myself. That will probably be a trend, or more than a trend, going forward. The kids are grown and I don't have the daily interaction with them. I'll try to keep this up to date with what is happening to them, but in order to keep this blog going with more entries, I will probably have more to say about myself than anything else. Probably talk more about the past as well. I enjoy writing it, and usually have interesting tales and stories to tell, even if I have to make some of them up. They might seem made up, but they are real to me and I am assuming most of them are based in actual fact. I just don't remember all the details.
But I enjoy it, and I will try to keep doing it. For as long as I can, and probably for some time after I cannot. Maybe I will write some entries that can be published after I am gone. Might be a good way to say some of the things I cannot say in here but should be said somewhere and if I am gone, there are no consequences to me afterwards. I will just allow others to be amused while I am not here. Sounds like a plan.
I am going to close this one now. Without saying anything about the kids. I'll think of something soon. Might even be later today as I do not have a lot of work to do and it is the last day of school, so I will get bored and probably start a new entry. Just a gamble on my part, but if you stay up late and eat ice cream, you might be entertained by some other nonsense I report.
Until next time,
Later
No comments:
Post a Comment